It’s hard to believe I have been writing Uncorked for eight years. I absolutely love sharing ideas each week, but more importantly I enjoy the feedback from you, the reader.
As I celebrate this anniversary, I am reminded my aim for this column has always been to offer honest recommendations of wines we can find in our market. But more than the recommendations, I hope this column makes wine – an often pretentious and confusing subject – fun to learn about and more enjoyable to drink.
This next year as we continue our wine journey together, I want to add a few interactive features to the column. Keep an eye out for a few “homework” lessons involving tasting wines together. You’re the reason I write the column, and your thoughts, questions and suggestions about what you want to know help me immensely. Keep the questions and suggestions coming!
As I do each year, I have put together a complete list of values and splurges featured in this column in the past year. Just send an e-mail or written request to this mailing address and I’ll send you a copy; e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or write to Uncorked, c/o the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, P.O. Box 2221,Little Rock, Ark. 72203.
A few of my favorites from the past year:
- 2011 Wishing Tree Unoaked Chardonnay, Australia (about $13 retail)
- 2011 Root 1 Chardonnay, Chile (about $12 retail)
- 2010 Cline Cellars Cashmere, California (about $15 retail)
- 2011 Big House Red Boxed Wine, California (about $22 retail)
- 2011 Presqu’ile Pinot Noir, California (about $49 retail)
- 2006 Reynolds Family Winery Persistence, California (about $58 retail)
- 2007 Bell Vineyards Napa Valley Claret, California (about $69 retail)
- 2009 Rombauer Carneros Chardonnay, California (about $49 retail)