The Art of Wine is one of my favorite wine events in Arkansas, and this year marks the 12th anniversary of the annual celebration. This Northwest Arkansas event, June 7-9, will draw guests from across the country, with proceeds supporting the Walton Arts Centers award-winning arts and education programs.
Attendees will have the opportunity to indulge in hundreds of wines. My favorite event is the Winemakers Dinner on June 7, not just because of the extraordinary ambience of dining on the Baum Walker Hall stage but the detail put into planning the evenings food and wine pairings. This years evening is with California winemaker Debbie Juergenson, the genius behind Red Rock Winery’s products. Dine with the winemaker and savor a five-course dinner prepared by executive chef Bill Lyle of Ellas Restaurant in Fayetteville.
New this year is an afternoon Sparkling Wine Extravaganza. I cant think of a better way to start an evening than sipping and celebrating Champagne while learning a few new wine tidbits. Aleks Berry of The Fayetteville Wine Cellar will discuss everything from the basics of how all those bubbles get into the glass to exciting new styles awaiting your palate.
The Premier Tasting on June 9 is the main event, featuring 150 reserve-quality wines and food prepared by area chefs. The tasting is a rare opportunity for wine lovers to experience a colossal variety and range of styles in one setting.
For more information or tickets, contact the Walton Arts Center box office at (479) 443-5600 or by visiting waltonartscenter.org.
This weeks recommendations offer a preview to warm up your palate.
- 2010 Presquile Sauvignon Blanc, California (about $21 retail)
- 2011 Honig Vineyard Sauvignon Blanc, California (about $17 retail)
- 2009 Lock and Key North Coast Meritage, California (about $18 retail)
- 2010 Edna Valley Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon, California (about $26 retail)
- 2009 Bell Napa Cabernet Sauvignon, California (about $52 retail)
- 2009 Michael David Vineyards Gluttony Amador Old Vine Zin, California (about $65 retail)