This week marks Uncorked’s fourth anniversary, and I’m feeling that time certainly flies when you’re having fun.
During the past year, this column has touched on a wide range of topics — food and wine pairing, the synthetic versus natural cork debate and which wines are best for cellaring. My aim has been to offer honest recommendations of wines available in Arkansas. But possibly more than the specific recommendations, I hope this column makes wine — an often pretentious and confusing subject — more relaxed and easier to understand.
There has been an overwhelming amount of feedback, questions and ideas this past year — keep the suggestions coming!
In appreciation of dedicated readers, I am offering, as I did last year, a list of the past year’s Value and Splurge wines. It’s easy to keep on your personal computer or print for quick and easy reference. UnCorked | 2008 Wine Review
A few favorites:
THE VALUES (About $10)
- 2006 Mirassou Winery Cabernet Sauvignon, California
- 2006 Oroya White Wine, Spain
- 2006 Clean Slate Riesling, Germany
- 2006 Mark West Vineyards Pinot Noir, California
- 2006 Ravenswood Winery Vintner’s Blend Zinfandel, California
- 2006 Concannon Vineyard Syrah, California
THE SPLURGES (About $20)
- 2006 Honig Sauvignon Blanc, California
- 2006 Santa Margherita Chianti, Italy
- 2006 Banfi Rosa Regale, Italy
- 2006 Casa Lapostolle Cuvee Alexandre Chardonnay, Chile
- 2006 Willamette Valley Vineyards Pinot Noir, Oregon
- 2006 Nine North Parcel 41, California