As the summer temperatures continue to rise it’s the ideal time to focus on the cool refreshing flavors of white wines — not that the spicy reds that pair so wonderfully with grilled meats should be ignored — but whites are the perfect partners for summer menus that are light and fresh.
There are many options with white wines and light summer flavors, be it with bubbles, crisp, acidic citrus flavors or even the decadent array of sweet dessert wines.
Rose is another refreshing summer wine that is often overlooked. The fresh, fruity flavors and fresh, light-bodied style are ideal for grilled seafood, salads, chicken and even burgers.
So, when your summer menu needs an additional cool-down think of the many matches of refreshing white and rose wines.
- 2007 Gnarly Head Cellars Pinot Grigio, California (about $12 retail)
- 2007 Kendall Jackson Vintners Reserve Sauvignon Blanc, California (about $15 retail)
- 2008 Casa Lapostolle Sauvignon Blanc, Chile (about $13 retail)
- 2008 Castello di Gabbiano Pinot Grigio, Italy (about $12 retail)
- 2008 Beringer Vineyards Napa Valley Sauvignon Blanc, California (about $14 retail)
- 2008 Montes Cherub Rose of Syrah, Chile (about $18 retail)
- 2006 Liberty School Chardonnay, California (about $16 retail)
- 2008 Honig Sauvignon Blanc, California (about $17 retail)
- 2007 Dashwood Sauvignon Blanc, New Zealand (about $18 retail)
- 2007 King Estate Pinot Gris, Oregon (about $19 retail)